WELCOME TO BONDLADYS CORNER...WE CARRY ON HER CUSTOM OF MAKING THIS SITE YOUR 24 HOUR A DAY IRAQ NEWS ARTICLE SOURCE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF OUR LADY.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iraq removes central bank head in corruption probe

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Shredd

Shredd
CO-ADMINISTRATOR
CO-ADMINISTRATOR

Iraq removes central bank head in corruption probe

By ADAM SCHRECK, Associated Press – 2 minutes ago

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraq abruptly removed the longtime governor of the country's central bank Tuesday after he and other bank officials were targeted in an investigation into alleged financial wrongdoing.

The governor, Sinan al-Shabibi, is seen as a politically independent economist who has led the bank since shortly after the U.S.-led invasion. He has not been charged with any crime, and his lawyer insists he is innocent.

The allegations, drawn up by a special parliamentary committee established to investigate the bank, could give new ammunition to critics of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki that the Iraqi leader is trying to consolidate control over the country's institutions.

Iraq's Cabinet voted Tuesday to temporarily replace al-Shabibi with Abdul-Basit Turki, the head of the Board of Supreme Audit, until the investigation is complete, according to Ali al-Moussawi, a spokesman for the prime minister.

Iraq's Integrity Commission, the country's anti-corruption watchdog, is investigating the allegations.

"The committee in charge of this ... found shortcomings in the work of the central bank and these findings were sent to the Integrity Commission, which has decided to withdraw power from al-Shabibi," al-Moussawi said.

The investigation deals at least in part with alleged irregularities involving the exchange of Iraqi dinars for hard currency, according to al-Moussawi and Haitham al-Jabouri, a lawmaker involved in the probe.

About 16 bank employees are targeted in the investigation, al-Jabouri said. He said he expects arrest warrants against some could be issued soon.

Before becoming bank governor in 2003, al-Shabibi worked for more than two decades for the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.

One of his lawyers, Waleed Mohammed al-Shabibi, defended the governor's innocence. The lawyer described himself as a relative of the governor.

"These charges are politically motivated. Al-Shabibi is honest and professional," said the lawyer. "The government is planning to replace him with another official who takes orders from the government."

Al-Moussawi, the prime minister's spokesman, denied the charge, saying there was no political motivation behind the move.

The bank governor himself could not immediately be reached for comment. His lawyer said al-Shabibi is out of the country. He declined to say where.

Spokespeople for the central bank said they are not authorized to discuss the allegations.

Iraq has rapidly increased its oil output following years of war and neglect, and that has translated into a sharp rise in hard currency reserves. The country earlier this year surpassed next-door Iran as OPEC's second-largest oil producer, and its currency reserves recently topped $60 billion.

But the bank's efforts to keep the dinar stable through its sales of dollars to local banks have come under pressure, particularly over the past year.

Mudhhir Mohammed Salih, the bank's deputy governor, said in January that he believed the civil war in neighboring Syria and international sanctions against Iran had caused a jump in demand for dollars sold by Baghdad.

He said opportunistic businessmen were buying up dollars and then reselling them on the black market to customers across the border, sucking greenbacks out of the country and making it harder for the bank to keep Iraq's dinar stable. The bank aims to keep the local currency set at close to 1,200 dinars per dollar.

Salih separately confirmed he is among those being investigated, but said he has no further details.

Associated Press writers Qassim Abdul-Zahra, Sinan Salaheddin, Sameer N. Yacoub and Bushra Juhi contributed reporting.

Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Shredd

Shredd
CO-ADMINISTRATOR
CO-ADMINISTRATOR

I know some will or are freaking out about this news, but let's not forget the US put Maliki in his position as we did Shabibi. The US, IMF, and other G20 countries are not going to sit idly by and watch Maliki raid the CBI reserves and plunder it all. The enormity of the global economic stimulus that sits ready in Iraq is not going to be easily dismissed. Now, I'm not sure of Maliki's intentions, but he has locked horns with Shabibi for a while now, so in my opinion, this will definitely set everything on hold until this is resolved.

On a separate but somewhat related point, I was just thinking to myself yesterday about the possibility that in Maliki's opinion, Shabibi is perhaps too conservative and is taking too long and Maliki wants to move along faster. Now, I've not seen any evidence of that but was just considering the possibility. Maliki has got to know that if the monetary policy does not change, the window of investment will grow stale and the country will suffer for it. We saw Christine Lagarde's comments on Iraq from last Friday.....take this opportunity to invest in Iraq. Now.....taking that in mind, go back to this Shabibi issue.....doesn't seem to fit, does it?

I'm still optimistic, but like I said, I believe we will sit still until this issue is resolved.

Also, remember this investigation is not only about Shabbs, it includes other senior officials including Salih.

I also think it's logical that Shabibi was about to pull the trigger on the next step of his plan and the government freaked out....doing the only thing they could do to delay his plan.

DoubleR

Got a question for you. What Sectarian group is the Banks Governor from and those being investigated?
What Sectarian group is Allawi from?
What Sectarian group is Maliki from?

We could be seeing another sectarian war about to begin like we saw back in 2007. You have to wonder why Maliki is seeking help from the USA more these days.

These people over there will never come to agree and will most likely go back into a Dictatorship Government. Fighting is their way of life there and will always be.

Just my opinion, nothing more. I do not trust any news coming out of that country and have come to grow much less optimistic about any substantial revaluation.

chiara

Thanks for your straight-up, calming take on this Shredd Smile

Reflection

Or could this be false info, misinformation, on a last ditch effort to get investors to sell back dinars right before the change? Maybe? Hopefully.... Laughing We all know how "reliable" or "trustworthy" the news sources are in Iraq. Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum