WELCOME TO BONDLADYS CORNER...WE CARRY ON HER CUSTOM OF MAKING THIS SITE YOUR 24 HOUR A DAY IRAQ NEWS ARTICLE SOURCE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF OUR LADY.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saleh calls for the implementation of “Reviving Al-Rafidain” and expects a massive population explosion

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ikea

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Saleh calls for the implementation of “Reviving Al-Rafidain” and expects a massive population explosion

Wednesday, 27 April 2022 12:59 PM
Baghdad / National News Center

Today, Wednesday, the President of the Republic, Barham Salih, called for the implementation of the Mesopotamian recovery initiative that he put forward last year, while warning of the dangers of drought, climate change and a drop in water levels to significant levels in the country.

Saleh said, in a series of tweets on "Twitter", followed by the National News Center, that "Sawa Lake, the pearl of the south in Samawah, I remember my visit to it with my father when I was young, fascinated by its beauty and luster, that its drought is unfortunate and a harsh reminder of the danger of climate change that It constitutes an existential threat to our future in Iraq, the region and the world, so addressing climate change must become a national priority for Iraq.”

He added, "The population of Iraq today is more than 41 million, and it will be 52 million in ten years, and it will be associated with an increase in demand for water.

Desertification affects 39% of our lands and the scarcity of water is now negatively affecting all parts of our country and will lead to the loss of the fertility of agricultural lands due to salinization.”

Saleh revealed that "Iraq is ranked fifth among the most fragile countries in the world in terms of water and food shortages and extreme temperatures," expressing his expectation that

"our water deficit will reach 10.8 billion cubic meters by 2035, according to studies of the Ministry of Water Resources due to the decline in the levels of the Tigris and Euphrates and evaporation in dam waters and not modernizing irrigation methods.”

Saleh considered, in his tweets, that "the Mesopotamian recovery initiative, which was put forward last year and approved by the Council of Ministers, must be activated and developed as a strategic framework for building a green economy that supports oil resources and avoiding bankruptcy in water resources, drought and its repercussions on the migration of villages, rural areas and agricultural lands."

Saleh concluded his series of tweets, saying that this project "is a project for Iraq and all of our region, which shares the serious threat of climate change, and relies on strategic programs that include afforestation, modernization of the Tigris and Euphrates water management, generation of clean energy, and the integration of environmental plans for the countries of the region with each other through joint solidarity."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum