Date: Monday, 12/19/2011 19:20
Interview: Jaafar al-Moussawi / Washington
Along the axis of political to the visit of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to Washington was the economic side the presence of a clear and influential during the last visit, in particular the work of the second day of the meeting included trade expanded heads and representatives of U.S. companies, and to Mr. Nofal Abu Hassan Iraqi Commercial Attaché in Washington, an influential role and clear in organizing this important meeting and influential in attracting international companies and the U.S..
In this dialogue with Mr. Hassan Nofal highlight the main economic and commercial stations in this visit and the activity of Iraqi commercial attaché in Washington.
* How do you assess the visit of Prime Minister Maliki to Washington in terms of impacts on the economic and trade exchange between Washington and Baghdad?
- Although this visit were not the first visit of the Prime Minister to Washington, but it was one of the most important visits in particular, and they came and the two countries on the threshold of entering a new phase of relations where the economic side, trade priority. It has been the joint task of the visit is to meet with the Prime Minister and his accompanying delegation heads and representatives of the important group of American companies from different sectors and delivering a speech at the American Chamber of Commerce in front of more than 250 businessmen and women, encouraging them to quickly enter the Iraqi market and competition for the great opportunities that provided by Iraq. The atmosphere was positive and encouraging feedback and we hope to be reflected on the increased levels of trade between the two countries witnessed a significant rise during the last five years.
* The size of the assurances to U.S. companies to invest in Iraq, what is your assessment of him? .. In terms of providing a secure environment and to facilitate investment procedures?
- In addition to the improvement experienced by Iraq on the security side in recent years has provided the Iraqi government a lot of factors that attract companies and investors through the modernization of some of the legal frameworks and reduce barriers to trade and the opening of the first Iraqi court specialist to adjudicate disputes and commercial enter Iraq to international organizations give guarantees for investments Foreign other indicators of the seriousness of Iraq to give assurances to U.S. companies to enter the Iraqi market and compete with other international companies.
However, the Iraqi embassies to authorize the authority to grant visas to international companies and businessmen will contribute meaningfully in solving one of the problems faced by U.S. companies to enter Iraq.
On the other hand, the officials listen to representatives of companies in the dialogue sessions and meetings during the visit was expected to contribute to offering practical solutions to some problems faced during their work in Iraq.
* What are the measures taken by the commercial attaché in Washington to encourage investment in Iraq and the services provided by U.S. companies wishing to work in Iraq?
- Of the most important objectives of the Iraqi commercial attaché in Washington is to encourage trade between the two countries. As you know, the commercial attaché in Washington, was founded about three years after the break lasted for two decades. Attaché has begun and a small cadre implementation of an ambitious plan to cover a large area of the country is the first economy in the world. The plan included opening directly to U.S. companies in various sectors, especially needed by the Iraqi economy, or indirectly through organizations, associations and institutions whose members include large numbers of American companies such as chambers of commerce of America and the Arab States and the World Trade Centers as well as the attaché has developed good relations with the ministries and government departments concerned in the American economic and trade such as ministries of trade, agriculture, transport and others.
Trying to work silently and despite some obstacles and barriers that we faced. The Chksna since the start of the large size of the perceptions (true or false) the outstanding minds of American society and inclusive of a lot of business men and women on Iraq. Perhaps some of the fears and unrealistic in 2005 or 2006, but most of these fears have no reality now. It was the commercial Attaché important role to dispel many misconceptions about the situation in Iraq by offering a balanced and true picture depends on the numbers and scientific studies.
In addition to our field visits to dozens of companies and receptivity to the hundreds of traders and representatives of U.S. companies in different has held Attaché in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Commerce and chambers of commerce, universities and many institutions of more than 25 symposium included the addition of the capital of Washington, dozens of cities in the U.S. states as diverse as: Michigan, Texas and New York and Washington (Seattle) and Oregon , Missouri, Arizona, California and Wayamng, Idaho and Montana, Louisiana, Virginia and Maryland, and others. Has been through these seminars to check out the hundreds of American companies and display the atmosphere true in Iraq, especially the great opportunities in many sectors including agriculture, industry, housing, transport, education, banking and finance, energy, irrigation, tourism, telecommunications and various areas of trade.
It also attaché on a daily basis the completion of business transactions such as certificates of origin, invoices, authorizations and commercial inspection certificates belonging to companies or American products exported to Iraq or on their status of financial, legal and registered after check authenticity of the U.S. State Department and the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of States concerned and the Chambers of Commerce and the Book of termination. Attaché has completed more than ten thousand transaction during the past three years. As well as to help government departments wishing to verify the gravity of American companies and its financial and legal institutions in the U.S. to prepare specialized reports of sobriety.
And helped Attaché of Commerce in Washington to support various programs for the training of cadres of ministries and departments Iraqi included more than 12 training program for ministries, departments and companies, including the ministries of industry, oil, education, and commercial courts, the judiciary, the Council of State and others. In addition, the attaché set up more than 250 reports in different areas including related financial crisis and global economic and food crises and banks, including periodically the movement of the U.S. economy and trade with major partners of the United States and trade with Iraq and the development of large companies and monitor the situation of food prices in the U.S. markets and international, including the study of experiences related to U.S. economic success with recommendations on how to take advantage of them in Iraq.
Perhaps the participation of more than 80 companies and institutions and the American League and other companies Boeing, Microsoft, Ford, GE, and dozens of others in the first wing of American companies in cycle 38 of the Baghdad International Fair last month, the biggest indicator of the success of efforts Attaché of Commerce in Washington to persuade these companies and institutions of the importance of breaking the ring, which imposed on Iraq during the past years and the formation of a collective team included many parties supported the idea of the success of the wing.
* What your plan on the agenda of the next annual activities and opening up to new economic projects that would strengthen the Iraqi economy at home?
This visit has added new momentum and opened up more to Attaché. Therefore, we have a great opportunity to expand our quality and quantity, as we would like to continue our campaign promotions to include cities and states other U.S. during the next year, God willing, as we are trying to open up to the Iraqi private sector wishing to partner with U.S. companies or take advantage of its capabilities in joint ventures in Iraq . We are trying to increase our cooperation and our support for efforts to train Iraqi cadres, especially in areas that occur methods work performance and reduce barriers to trade and investment in Iraq. As we try to focus on strategic sectors contributing to the diversification of income sources that provide more job opportunities.
We look forward to next year's optimistic eyes and minds open and hearts of the Iraqis to secure viability of solutions to the difficulties which we expect to face our beloved country in its march towards building a strong economy worthy of Iraq and its people.
In conclusion, we thank you for this opportunity and hope to deal with the media aimed at the bright side of the image of the new Iraq is commensurate with the efforts of the unknown soldiers in the various spheres of life.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]