UN Secretary-General expects possible settlement for Kuwait's lost men
11/12/2011 12:58 م
BAGHDAD/ Aswat al-Iraq: UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon has uncovered a "possible" progress in the issue ofKuwait's lost men and property inIraqdue to the Iraqi invasion ofKuwaitin 1990, the Kuwaiti al-Watan newspaper reported on Sunday.
The newspaper quoted a report by the UN Secretary-General on Friday night to the UN Security Council, in which he said: "In the light of a possible progress in the future, I suggest that the Security Council extends the period of the UN Special Coordinator till June 30,2012, inorder to implement the Security Council's resolution in this respect."
"It seems that the search for lost Kuwaitis and others of different nationalities in Iraq is still continuing," he said, adding: "I appreciate the cooperation, expressed by the government of Iraq on the said issue, and I encourage taking further practical steps to keep its commitments, along with the support by the Kuwaiti government as well."
Ban Ki-moon pointed out that Kuwaiti officials, through bilateral meeting or through different messages, have demanded me to support the extension of the period of authorizing the Special Coordinator, in order to achieve objective results that would share in putting an end for the said humanitarian dossier.
He also called onIraqto continue working withKuwaitunder an atmosphere of trust, in order to achieve progress in the said humanitarian issue, the newspaper added.
Ban Ki-moon said that "three missions have been sent to southern Iraq's Nassiriiya city in Dec.
2010 and to a site, close to Khumeisiya area in southern Iraq's marshes in June and September of the same year," adding that "no remains of any persons were discovered by those missions."
"Iraq's Human Rights Minister, Mohammed al-Sudani, had informed the UN Special Coordinator, Tarasov, during the latter's stay in Baghdad, that a special plan had been set up for 2012, to carry out further surveys about the fate of the lost persons," he added.
He said that the Iraqi Minister had informed Tarasov thatIraqhad received appliances bought byKuwaitfor US$ one million, for use in digging mass graves to uncover the identities of the lost persons, expressing conviction thatIraqneeds to work with the United Nations in this humanitarian dossier, according to a defined time schedule.
Noteworthy is that the UN Security Council would pass a special report on Dec.
15th, calling on Tarasov to present a report to its Members about the developments over the said issue
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]