WELCOME TO BONDLADYS CORNER...WE CARRY ON HER CUSTOM OF MAKING THIS SITE YOUR 24 HOUR A DAY IRAQ NEWS ARTICLE SOURCE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF OUR LADY.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Telephone switcher plugs into Iraqi air force

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

katt

katt

Telephone switcher plugs into Iraqi air force

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Tech. Sgt. RK Stephey stands beside a Doppler VHF Omni-directional Radio system he and experts from Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., installed for the Iraqi Army Aviation Command at Camp Taji, Iraq. Sergeant Stephey redeployed to Misawa Air Base, Japan, after six months of helping his Iraqi partners set up their first defense networking system and initiating various communications programs. Sergeant Stephey is a communications advisor for the base transition team and calls Prescott, Ariz., home. (U.S. Air Force/Tech. Sgt. Jason Lake)

by Tech. Sgt. Jason Lake
321st Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

5/18/2011 - CAMP TAJI, Iraq (AFNS) -- Tech. Sgt. RK Stephey has seen his share of the world. In the span of two and a half years, the telephone switch manager from Misawa Air Base, Japan, has deployed to 10 countries, including his current location of Iraq.

"I've seen the world for sure," said Sergeant Stephey, who recounted his combat communication deployments to Sardinia, Spain, Germany and other places he can't mention. "There have been good ones, and there have been bad ones."

As the 321st Expeditionary Mission Support Advisory Group base transition team's communications advisor, Sergeant Stephey has been working hand in hand with his Iraqi counterparts as they set up their first Internet-based defense network system, called I3P. The 18-year Air Force veteran has been helping set up fiber-optic cables to link Taji with other nearby bases. With the end of his six-month tour around the corner, Sergeant Stephey said his deployment to Iraq has been one of the most unique of his career.

"There's no telephone switches here, so everything I do out here is new, and I've never been formally trained," said the Prescott, Ariz., native. "I deal with a lot of contractors and interface with my Iraqi counterparts on a daily basis. It's definitely a job you have to come into open-minded, otherwise you'd get buried."

Earlier in May, the Iraqi air force formally received the $1.2 million Doppler VHF Omni-directional Radio, which Sergeant Stephey and his team coordinated with a team of experts from Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., to install. The equipment serves as a locator beacon to help aircraft find their way back to Taji during crisis situations.

"It's a redundant navigation system that tells the aircraft where it is during an emergency," he said.

Sergeant Stephey also helped integrate the airfield's lighting system and trained the Iraqi radio crews to maintain 24-hour operations.

"I've enjoyed working with the Iraqis," he said. "They've been open-minded, willing to learn, and they have a good leader who empowers his troops."

The communications non-commissioned officer is just one of nine Airmen, one Soldier and four contractors from various career fields working on Taji's base transition team.

The Detachment 1 team has advisors in supply, medical, badging, force support and civil engineering career fields working on various tasks ranging from an $11 million air traffic control tower construction project, to a $35 million long-range radar project.

"We still have a lot of work here to do," said 1st Lt. Erin Werling, the Detachment 1 base transition team deputy chief, who is deployed from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, and hails from Findlay, Ohio. "Our team has worked very hard to advise, train and assist our Iraqi partners as we prepare for end of mission. The months ahead will be difficult, but our team will get the job done."

The 321st EMSAG has five other base transition team detachments aiding Iraqis at Kirkuk, New Al-Muthana, Tirkrit , Balad and Ali bases. The teams facilitate training with firefighters, security forces, communications and other key career fields needed to sustain air base operations as American military forces depart.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

tdrv

Thats alot of money spent on that dvor!it's a radio navigational system for aircraft

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum